Ready to Lose Your Glasses? 10 suggestions for picking a LASIK or Laser Vision Correction CenterThe world of ophthalmology is one of the fastest evolving fields of medication. Never prior to have numerous brand-new techniques and scientific breakthroughs emerged in such a short time period. LASIK surgical treatment, which utilizes an excimer laser to reshape the cornea, provides millions of people the chance to decrease or remove their requirement for contacts or glasses .
Television and radio ads are filled with incredible stories about LASIK surgery as the quick and painless way to remedy vision, but stories are also appearing about individuals for whom it was less than successful. Before you opt to go under the beam, exactly what can you do to assist make sure that you will more than happy with your results?
The key to safe surgical treatment in any field of medicine is an informed client. Take a little time and research the LASIK center you are considering for laser eye surgical treatment. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction surgeons in a nationwide survey by Ophthalmology Times, uses the following guidelines to quality care and treatment.
1. Discover a doctor by getting recommendations from other doctors or from patients who have had LASIK or laser vision correction.
2. Don't be deceived by fancy ads about a specific laser center. Pick the physician, not the laser center. Learn who will really do your treatment, then ask about that physician's qualifications (e.g., board certification, unique training).
3. Pick a physician who has done at least 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgical treatments. What a physician does not understand can hurt you.
4. Request for info on your medical professional's LASIK eye surgery complication rates. If your physician won't tell you, discover another one. For top surgeons, the figure is under 3 in 1,000.
Ask exactly what measures are taken to avoid infection. Firmly insist that your eye is completely sanitized, and firmly insist that the surgical instruments be disinfected prior to your eye laser surgery to eliminate the threat of transmission of HIV or hepatitis.
6. Beware of ads pushing "low expense" LASIK surgery. Discount surgical treatment is as good as a discount parachute. The prospective cost savings are not worth the threat of getting less than skilled care!
Anticipate to see very well after LASIK, but do not anticipate to see completely. As with any eye laser surgery, outcomes are as private as each client. Be careful of any medical professional who promises 20/20 vision.
8. You most likely are if you feel like you're getting a tough sell. Go elsewhere. You're not view buying a automobile; this is real LASIK eye surgery.
9. Implantable lenses will probably use better vision than LASIK if your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so. Think about waiting up until the new lenses are offered. Ask your physician about them and other recent advances.
10. While you investigate, do not lose sight of the advantages: for the majority of people, a lifetime of bad vision can be cured in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgical treatment has actually improved the vision of countless individuals around the world.